Research Lab Technician
About Willow Biosciences:
Our multidisciplinary team of world-leading discovery biologists, biochemists and geneticists is dedicated to harnessing the therapeutic potential of plants. We have developed the only fully-integrated synthetic biology solution for opioid biosynthesis and are now leveraging our unique design-build process and our proven track record to the biosynthesis of cannabinoids.
Job Listing: Research Lab Technician
We are seeking an experienced Research Assistant (Lab Technician) who will support the lab and scientists working on metabolic engineering of biosynthetic pathways in microorganisms, particularly yeast. This individual will support daily laboratory operations including preparation of materials and consumables used in experiments as well as keep inventory of supplies and ensure a healthy stock of lab-related materials are available at all times
Education: AS or BS in Life Sciences or related field.
Experience: 0-1 plus years’ experience working in a laboratory in an industrial research setting (Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, or Life Sciences Industries).Experience working with yeast strongly preferred.
Position: This position is for a highly motivated and experienced individual with a strong desire to work in a fast-paced, collaborative startup environment. This individual will work under the guidance of scientists to support all laboratory operations to meet company goals/milestones.
- Write/edit lab protocols
- Prepare biological samples or cultures analysis
- Troubleshoot standard lab equipment issues with vendors
- Create and evaluate new lab protocols as needed
- Prepare and run quality control on culture media and reagents
- Maintain and inventory all lab equipment, chemicals and consumables
- Work with local vendors and oversee ordering (and maintaining stock of) all chemicals and consumables
- Assist scientists with development and testing of protocols or new processes
- Be familiar with using standard laboratory instruments (including robotic liquid handlers and other automated equipment)
- Propose continual operational improvements for efficiency and quality.
- Maintain timely documentation of laboratory work.
- Create and maintain laboratory documents, including SOP’s.
- Support lab scientists (strain engineers, biochemists, computational biologists and fermentation scientists) to identify, develop, and apply new synthetic biology & genome engineering tools to meet company goals/milestones.
- Outstanding team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Capable of high performance in independent work as well as in team setting.
- A strong desire to grow as a scientific researcher, learn new techniques and adopt new technologies for process improvements.
- Attention to detail, good laboratory practice and maintenance of a high degree of accuracy while working in high throughput.
- Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods
- Performing repetitive tasks with hands, fingers, and wrists
- Use of standard lab PPE (lab coats, safety glasses and gloves)
- Full-time position
- Authorized to work in the US
- Healthcare Benefits – medical, vision, dental
- Vacation + Paid Holidays
- Life / AD&D, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
Equal Opportunity Employment:
- Willow Biosciences is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.