Scientist, Yeast Genetics
About Willow Biosciences:
Our multidisciplinary team of world-leading discovery biologists, biochemists and geneticists is dedicated to harnessing the therapeutic potential of plants. We have developed the only fully-integrated synthetic biology solution for opioid biosynthesis and are now leveraging our unique design-build process and our proven track record to the biosynthesis of cannabinoids.
Job Listing: Scientist, Yeast Genetics
We are seeking an experienced Scientist/Yeast Geneticistto apply rational approaches for metabolic engineering of biosynthetic pathways in microorganisms, particularly yeast. The successful candidate will have strong molecular biology skills, sound knowledge of yeast genetics and practical experience using synthetic DNA and gene-editing tools.
Education: PhD in genetics, molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, chemical engineering or a related field.
Experience: 2+ years’ demonstrated experience in strain/metabolic engineering of eukaryotic microorganisms in an industrial research setting (Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, or Life Sciences Industries). Specific experience in yeast genetics, gene editing technologies (e.g., CRISPR) and working in a high-throughput environment strongly preferred.
Position: This position is for a highly motivated and experienced individual with a strong desire to work in a fast-paced, collaborative startup environment. Responsibilities will include:application of yeast genomics and metabolomics to identify, engineer and resolve biosynthetic pathway bottlenecks;contribution to the design and advancement of enzyme engineering technologies; identification of gene targets for single/multi-gene library design and construction for high throughput (HTP) screening experiments; recommendation of improved variants for subsequent rounds of evolution; participation in a rapid “Design/Build/Test/Learn” cycle with other lab scientists to meet company goals/milestones.
- Identification of molecular targets to control production of key enzymes in biosynthetic pathways
- Generate knock-out and knock-in yeast strains as required
- Enable high transformation protocols in expression host systems (yeast)
- Enable protein characterization, cell-based assays and fermentation processes
- Develop automation platforms using high throughput workflows to increase experimental throughput
- Have a thorough understanding of protein engineering approaches including yeast homologous recombination techniques, HTP library design and construction and next generation sequencing
- Familiarity with high-throughput screening and data analysis with ability to offer strategic recommendations based on interpretation of data for subsequent strain engineering decisions.
- Maintain timely documentation of laboratory work
- Provide written documentation and specifications of strain engineering workflows (SOP’s)
- Effectively communicate/present work and analysis to audiences with diverse technical backgrounds
- Mentor Research Associates
- Work in partnership with other scientists (computational biologists, analytical and fermentation scientists) to identify, develop, and apply new synthetic biology & genome engineering tools to meet company goals/milestones.
- Outstanding team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Capable of high performance in independent work as well as in team setting.
- A strong desire to grow as a scientific researcher, learn new techniques and adopt new technologies for process improvements.
- Attention to detail,good laboratory practiceand maintenance of a high degree of accuracy while working in high throughput.
- Experience working with LIMS
- Proficiency with MS Office suite
- Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods
- Performing repetitive tasks with hands, fingers, and wrists
- Use of standard lab PPE (lab coats, safety glasses and gloves)
- Full-time position
- Authorized to work in the US
- Healthcare Benefits – medical, vision, dental
- Vacation + Paid Holidays
- Life / AD&D, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
Equal Opportunity Employment:
- Willow Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.