Research Associate, Assay & Analytics
About Willow Biosciences:
Our multidisciplinary team of world-leading discovery biologists, biochemists and geneticists is dedicated to harnessing the therapeutic potential of plants. We are applying our unique design-build process and our proven track record to the biosynthesis of cannabinoids.
Job Listing: Research Assistant / Associate – Assay & Analytics
We are seeking an experienced Research Assistant/Associate, Assay & Analytics who will contribute to the metabolic engineering of biosynthetic pathways in microorganisms, particularly yeast. This individual will have strong analytical skills, working knowledge of assay development and practical experience with automation workflows for HTP screening.
Education: BS or MS in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering or a related field.
Experience: 0-2 plus years’ experience in a high throughput environment working with quantitative analytical techniques and operating lab automation equipment such as liquid handling robotics in an industrial research setting (Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, or Life Sciences Industries). Experience working with yeast strongly preferred.
Position: This position is for a highly motivated and experienced individual with a strong desire to work in a fast-paced, collaborative startup environment. This individual will work under the guidance of scientists to develop high throughput biological assays for the analytical detection and quantification of molecules of interest. Responsibilities will include: assisting in the design of experiments; creating & optimizing protocols; collecting & processing data; participation in a rapid Design/Build/Test/Learn cycle with other lab scientists to meet company goals/milestones.
- Hands on experience working with lab automation equipment such as robotic liquid handlers (e.g., Tecan), automated colony picker, incubators/ shakers and other standard laboratory analytical equipment.
- Work with scientists to develop, validate and execute methods for detection, quantification and characterization of enzymes and pathways in engineered yeast strains.
- Work with scientists to conduct HTP screening using techniques such as HPLC and GC with various detection methods, including preparation of reagents and samples, instrument calibration, operation and maintenance.
- Apply a broad range of standard analytical methods to QC and test strains with other scientists
- Propose continual process improvements for efficiency and quality.
- Maintain timely documentation of laboratory work.
- Create and maintain analytical documents (HTP automation workflows) including SOP’s.
- Ability to communicate/present work and analysis to audiences with diverse technical backgrounds.
- Offer strategic recommendations based on interpretation of data for subsequent strain engineering decisions.
- Work in partnership with lab scientists (strain engineers, computational biologists and fermentation scientists)to identify, develop, and apply new synthetic biology & genome engineering tools to meet company goals/milestones.
- Outstanding team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Capable of high performance in independent work as well as in team setting.
- A strong desire to grow as a scientific researcher, learn new techniques and adopt new technologies for process improvements.
- Attention to detail, good laboratory practice and maintenance of a high degree of accuracy while working in high throughput.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite.
- Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods
- Performing repetitive tasks with hands, fingers, and wrists
- Use of standard lab PPE (lab coats, safety glasses and gloves)
- Full-time position
- Authorized to work in the US
- Healthcare Benefits – medical, vision, dental
- Vacation + Paid Holidays
- Life / AD&D, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
Equal Opportunity Employment:
- Willow Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.