Scientist/Senior Scientist, Assay & Analytics
About Willow Biosciences:
Our multidisciplinary team of world-leading discovery biologists, biochemists and geneticists is dedicated to harnessing the therapeutic potential of plants. We are applying our unique design-build process and our proven track record for the biosynthesis of cannabinoids.
Job Listing: Scientist/Senior Scientist, Assay & Analytics
We are seeking an experienced Scientist/Senior Scientist (Assay and Analytics) to develop, validate and execute various analytical methods to enable biosynthetic production of plant derived molecules using microorganisms such as yeast. This individual will have strong analytical skills and in-depth knowledge of assay development, biostatistics, metabolic engineering as well as practical experience with automation workflows for HTP screening.
Education: PhD in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering or a related field.
Experience: 2+ years’ experience with quantitative analytical techniques, in particular HPLC and mass spectrometry; lab automation equipment such as liquid handling robotics; and proficiency in working with standard analytical laboratory software (e.g., Agilent) in an industrial research setting (Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, or Life Sciences Industries). Experience working with yeast strongly preferred.
Position: This position is for a highly motivated and experienced individual with a strong desire to work in a fast-paced, collaborative startup environment. This individual will develop high throughput biological assays for the analytical detection and quantification of molecules of interest. Responsibilities will include: developing and implementing analytical methodologies to identify, extract, derivatize, and quantify pathway intermediates and products/by-products in engineered yeast strains; recommendation of improved variants for subsequent rounds of evolution; participation in a rapid Design/Build/Test/Learn cycle with other lab scientists to meet company goals/milestones.
- Develop, validate and execute methods for detection, quantification and characterization of microbial metabolic pathways.
- Conduct HTP sample analysis using HPLC and GC with various detection methods, including preparation of reagents and samples, instrument calibration, operation and maintenance.
- Operate HTP screening instruments such as liquid handlers, incubators/ shakers and other standard laboratory analytical equipment.
- Develop and validate appropriately tiered screens and selection methods to accelerate engineering of key enzymes/strains with improved properties.
- Propose continual process improvements for efficiency and quality.
- Maintain timely documentation of laboratory work.
- Create and maintain documents (HTP automation workflows) including SOP’s.
- Effectively communicate/present work and analysis to audiences with diverse technical backgrounds.
- Offer strategic recommendations based on interpretation of data for subsequent strain engineering decisions.
- Mentor Research Associates.
- Evaluate new technologies and instrumentation that will further advance/enable project goals.
- Work in partnership with lab scientists (strain engineers, computational biologists and fermentation scientists)to identify, develop, and apply new synthetic biology & genome engineering tools to meet company goals/milestones.
- Outstanding team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Capable of high performance in independent work as well as in team setting.
- A strong desire to grow as a scientific researcher, learn new techniques and adopt new technologies for process improvements.
- Attention to detail, good laboratory practiceand maintenance of a high degree of accuracy while working in high throughput.
- Experience working with LIMS.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite.
- Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods
- Performing repetitive tasks with hands, fingers, and wrists
- Use of standard lab PPE (lab coats, safety glasses and gloves)
- Full-time position
- Authorized to work in the US
- Healthcare Benefits – medical, vision, dental
- Vacation + Paid Holidays
- Life / AD&D, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
Equal Opportunity Employment:
- Willow Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.