Research Assistant / Associate – Fermentation R&D
About Willow Biosciences:
Our multidisciplinary team of world-leading discovery biologists, biochemists, geneticists, and fermentation process engineers are dedicated to harnessing the therapeutic potential of plants. We are applying our unique design-build process and our proven track record to the biosynthesis of cannabinoids.
Join our team:
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they are doing. At Willow Biosciences, we are committed to developing high-purity, plant derived compounds for the treatment of pain, anxiety, obesity, brain disorders, among other significant indications. We work hard, we’re serious about what we do and we like to have fun too.
Job Listing: Research Assistant / Associate – Fermentation R&D
We are seeking an experienced Research Assistant / Associate who will focus on microbial fermentation process development for small molecule production and will be part of a dynamic team responsible for bioprocess R&D and scale up.
Education: BS in Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, or related discipline.
Experience: 2 or more years’ demonstrated experience in development of microbial fermentation processes.
- Conduct fermentation experiments by performing bioreactor setup and sampling
- Analyze processing samples, using biological, biochemical, and analytical chemistry assay techniques
- Perform recovery experiments using unit operations such as homogenization, centrifugation, depth filtration, microfiltration, and ultrafiltration
- Communicate results of experiments to the project team
- Participate in daily operation and routine maintenance/housekeeping of process and analytical equipment
- Maintain a clean, organized and tidy lab environment. Maintain chemicals and consumables stocking, etc.
- Maintain lab notebooks, write reports and SOPs.
- Experience with USP development and optimization of microbial fermentation processes a must
- Experience with DSP unit operations such as homogenization, centrifugation, depth filtration, microfiltration, and ultrafiltration is a plus
- Strong Biochemistry and Analytical Chemistry skills with experience in various assay techniques such as HPLC, enzyme activity assays, protein assays, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills, documentation, organization, good record keeping, writing reports and SOPs
- Ability to take ownership, prioritize responsibilities, multi-task and remain flexible with changing needs
- Must be motivated and able to work under tight deadlines
- Attention to detail, safety and good laboratory practice
- Ability to communicate/present work and analysis to audiences with diverse technical backgrounds
- Work in partnership with other scientists (molecular biologists, computational biologists, and analytical scientists) to meet company goals/milestones
- Are curious, creative and tenacious
- Model our core values and believe in our mission
- 4 or more years’ experience in microbial fermentation process development
- Previous experience in startup or lean environment for biotech R&D
- Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods
- Performing repetitive tasks with hands, fingers, and wrists